My wife found a recipe for Roasted Brussels Sprouts so I decided to give it a go. I was kind of mixed on the Green Giant Brussels Sprouts so I hoped this would be a better recipe. I’ve heard that roasting brings out more of a sweetness in some vegetables and I do have that sweet tooth.
I must admit that they look like a burnt disgusting mess. That was one strike against them. They didn’t smell particularly bad so I gave them a try. I peeled off the outer burnt layer and it wasn’t bad. I didn’t love them, but I was game to try another. This time I left the outer layer on. It did change the taste and not for the better. It did have more of the salt and pepper taste, but also a burnt taste. I decided to peel the if they looked really burnt. The outer layer did help if it wasn’t to burnt. What struck me was that they are much more mushy than I expected. I thought I would end up with something crispy.
For those of you wishing to try them yourselves, here is the recipe.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.
They weren’t kidding about serving immediately. If you let them cool too much it does lose something and I didn’t care for them as much. I don’t think these will reheat well for another night. Make sure you don’t make to many at once.
I’m not sure I’m going to say I like them, but I don’t dislike them. I’ll have to look for a better recipe.
Did any of your fussy eaters like them? Let me know.