This Christmas, my wife got a great new cookbook “The New Way to Cook Light”. Up till now we hadn’t tried any of the recipes. This afternoon we were looking it over and found one that seemed interesting – Cajun Flank Steak.
- 1 lb flank steak (we used 1.5)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper (we used 1/4)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (we used 1/4)
- Combine seasoning in a storage bag and mix.
- Season both sides of the flank steak.
- Heat grill to high heat (around 600).
- Grill each side for about 8-10 minutes depending on how you like your steak.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Cut steak diagonally into thin strips.
One of the things I like about flank steak is that it is so lean. I hardly had to cut anything off it before it was ready to grill. Try to season it as evenly as possible. If you have a shaker you can use, that might help. I found it a little tough to season evenly.
I cut the steak once after I brought it in to make sure it was done properly. My wife likes it a little more rare than I do. This looked pretty good so we let it stand before cutting the rest.
We made Campfire Potatoes to go along with the steak. I was a bit unsure of them so I added some additional cheddar on top. The Cajun Flank Steak was delicious. It definitely had some kick to it. Between the two of us we finished it off. I will probably try this seasoning again on other cuts of steak as it was really flavorful. I was even bold enough to actually include the garlic powder when I made it. All in all, this steak gets the fussy eater stamp of approval.